The off-season continues to crawl by, and the Blue Jays have not made a significant move in weeks. Even so, there have been a few bits of interesting news over the past couple of days.
- Stephen Brunt made some ears perk up today. Per Ian Hunter, Brunt said that he has been told “that things are cooking.” As far as he knows, something might happen this week. Brunt elaborated by saying that this is not necessarily related to Jose Bautista. This evening, he told Tim & Sid “by this time next week, something will have happened.”
- We can add another name to the list of Bautista suitors. The Twins have reportedly been in contact with the slugger’s agent. Whether those talks are serious remains to be seen.
- In related news, Jeff Blair spoke about the Andrew McCutchen rumours yesterday. Blair said that any trade talks between the Blue Jays and Pirates involve Vlad Guerrero Jr.
- Speaking of Jays trades, the Mets are reportedly close to trading Jay Bruce. The Jays have long been rumoured to be among the most interested teams. Perhaps that is what Brunt was alluding to.
- Finally, according to Jon Morosi, Aaron Sanchez may join Team Mexico at the World Baseball Classic if they move beyond the group stage. The Jays might not want to see their young ace pitch in the tournament, as his health will still be a chief concern this season.
That’s the latest on the Blue Jays as of this evening. Hopefully we will learn more about what Brunt was hinting at as the week unfolds.Follow @bjaysrepublic